Alexander J. Anglim regularly represents businesses and individuals in civil litigation matters. He has represented clients in cases arising from breach of contract, consumer fraud, professional malpractice, construction defects, and other claims. He is an experienced and forceful courtroom advocate and a trusted Outside General Counsel advisor to his clients.
He is a seasoned insurance litigator who has represented policyholders in a wide variety of insurance coverage disputes, often involving very large claims and/or cutting-edge legal issues. He has successfully represented clients in lawsuits involving property insurance, business interruption, and other time-element coverages, general liability policies, advertising injury coverage, professional liability and errors and omissions liability (“E&O”) policies, directors and officers (“D&O”) coverage, and other types of property-casualty insurance.
In addition to representing policyholders in litigation, Mr. Anglim provides insurance-related counseling and advice. This embraces a variety of services. For example, he has helped clients to review, analyze and reconstruct their historical insurance coverage programs, which can be crucial for clients facing environmental or asbestos-related claims. Mr. Anglim also has helped clients to prepare, present and negotiate claims without the need for litigation. He also has served as “personal” or independent counsel for policyholders being defended under a reservation of rights.
In addition to his legal experience, Mr. Anglim also spent several years working as an insurance adjuster. He has leveraged his legal training and real-world, insurance-industry experience to help clients recover many millions of dollars in insurance proceeds.
Unlike many law firms who depend on insurance companies for work, Santomassimo Davis LLP never represents insurance companies in coverage matters. In insurance coverage cases, the firm exclusively represents policyholders.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- New York University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- The College of New Jersey, Bachelor of Science, Economics, Cum Laude
- Author, “Risk Management Alert: Can You Rely on A Certificate of Insurance?” August 2017
- Author, “Avoiding Uninsured Losses Due to Frozen Pipes,” Client Alert, January 2017
- Author, “The Careful Analysis of ‘Advertising Injury’ Claims,” Law360.com, August 6, 2012
- Co-Author, “Five Ways to Reduce The Cost of Construction Accidents,” Construction Executive Magazine, April 2011
- Author, “Business Interruption Insurance Law After 9/11,” Coverage, September/October 2003
- Co-Author, “New Claims, Old Policies: Understanding and Maximizing Your Company’s Insurance Coverage for Asbestos Claims,” The Lumber Co-Operator, March 2003
- Co-Author, “Environmental Insurance Law: Filling in the Gaps,” New Jersey Law Journal, February 24, 2003
- Co-author, “New Jersey Environmental Insurance Law: Filling in the Gaps,” Mealey’s Litigation Report, January 7, 2003
- Co-author, “Essentials of Business Interruption Insurance Law,” Mealey’s Business Interruption Insurance, December 2001
- Contributing Author, “A Practical Guide to New Jersey Employment Law: The Employer’s Resource,” (Chapter: “Personnel Files”) NJBIA, June 2001
- “Business Interruption Insurance,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting 2003, May 15, 2003
- “Hot Topics in Insurance Law,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February and March, 2003
- “Using OCIPs and CCIPs,” Lorman Educational Services, February 6, 2009
Honors and Awards
- Selected for Super Lawyers magazine – Rising Stars Edition, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Named as one of the New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 Under 40,” 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- William J. Brennan, Jr., Inn of Court, Barrister
- Central New Jersey Board of Cancer Care, Member
- Cancer Care’s Shore Area Walk for Hope Planning Committee, Chair