Maureen is a veteran former federal prosecutor, health care lawyer, compliance professional, educator, and advisor, who has served as a Vice President and an executive at large global pharmaceutical companies; as the Chief of the Health Care & Government Fraud Unit at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey; and as an equity Partner and Chair of the Health Care Litigation, Investigations & Compliance Group at a prominent NJ/NY law firm.
As an in-house attorney, Maureen served as the chief litigation advisor and conducted major internal investigations that spanned the globe. She also provided legal advice and direction in U.S. litigation matters, handled and oversaw all significant and group material disputes, conducted compliance and ethics investigations, and devised and implemented compliance policies and procedures.
As the Chief of the Health Care & Government Fraud Unit at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey, Maureen was recruited to create and lead the Office's first stand-alone Health Care & Government Fraud Unit, which included directing and supervising the Office's criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions of health care fraud offenses, as well as its criminal investigations and prosecutions under the FCPA, and environmental, tax, and other statutes. As Chief, Maureen supervised and directed the successful prosecution of more than 70 health care fraud cases, and the conviction of more than 150 defendants for health care fraud and other offenses, including environmental crimes, tax fraud, and government fraud. Under her supervision, the Unit recovered more than $510 million in settlements, judgments, fines, restitution, and forfeiture.
Over her 25 years as an attorney, Maureen was included in The Best Lawyers in America (2015 & 2016) for her work in health care litigation, white collar criminal defense, and commercial litigation matters. She received awards and commendations from numerous federal investigative agencies, including HHS-OIG, FBI, FDA, IRS, DEA, Secret Service, Postal Inspection Service, Department of Transportation, Department of Labor, and Department of Veteran's Affairs. She was ranked as a leading individual in white collar crime and government investigation practice areas by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2007-2010), which noted that she "is [a] leading white-collar attorney...recognized for her work in tax, health care[, and] securities fraud-related cases." Maureen was included on the list of Super Lawyers (2009-2010), and as a Rising Star (2007), which recognized her work in white collar criminal defense, business litigation, and appellate work. She was listed in the New Jersey Law Journal (2007) as one of "Forty Under 40" promising professionals. Maureen also received the U.S. Department of Justice Performance Award (2002) for sustained superior work performance. And Maureen received an "AV" Peer Review rating by Martindale-Hubbell for her legal abilities and ethical standards.
Maureen is the proud mother of four children, who are the light of her life. Maureen is the youngest of four children born to parents who grew up on rural farms in County Mayo, Ireland. Maureen's parents immigrated to the U.S., arriving in New Jersey in the 1950s. Although Maureen's parents came form very limited means and resources, they worked lovingly and tirelessly to convey to Maureen and her three older brothers all the wonderful opportunities that are available here. Maureen considers herself very fortunate and blessed to have received her B.A., with honors, from Rutgers College, and she received her J.D. from Rutgers School of Law-Newark, where she was Senior Articles Editor of the Rutgers Law Review and a member of the Rutgers National Moot Court Team.
- New Jersey, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1994
- Pennsylvania, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2008
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Newark, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1993
- Honors: Member, Rutgers National Moot Court Team
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1990
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Political Science
- Major: English
- 40 Under 40, New Jersey Law Journal, August 6, 2007
- Out-of-State Roadshow for N.J.’s Consumer Fraud Act, New Jersey Law Journal, July 10, 2006
- How Will eBay v. MercExchange Affect Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Patent Owners?, A Lowenstein Sandler PC Publication, July, 2006
- "Limitation of Indemnification and Advancement of Attorneys’ Fees: An Overview of the Historical and Current State of the Law,", Corporate Counsel Institute, 2007
- "Recent Trends in the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act: What Companies Should Know and Can Do to Protect Themselves,", HealthCare Institute of New Jersey, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Arthur T. Vanderbilt Inn of Court, Barrister
- HealthCare Institute of New Jersey (HINJ), Firm Liaison
- Leadership New Jersey, Class of 2007, Member
Past Employment Positions
- District of New Jersey, Assistant United States Attorney
- Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey for the Honorable Murry D. Brochin, Clerked